Sunday, April 19, 2009

San Juan, Puerto Rico


Last Monday Eric and I took off for our first official 'vacation without kids' since our honeymoon, minus a few nights here and there to Temecula or Vegas in the past 8 years. Without my parents, Emily & Iven, I would have never felt so comfortable leaving my boys for so long. We went to San Juan and had a FANTASTIC time. We ate wonderful food during romantic dinners, saw beautiful sights, walked along the ocean, and took our time with everything. It was truly a great week and reminded my that I'm married to my best friend.
Old San Juan is a beautiful city that reminds me a bit of New Orleans with pretty pastel colors.

Most of the streets are cobblestone and end at the ocean which lends much to the charm. We met such nice people from San Bernardino to New Jersey to New Zealand and the locals could not have been nicer and always wanted to point us in the direction of their favorite restaurants.

One of the sentry lookout points at the wall that surrounds Old San Juan, it was built in the 1500's.

Enjoying the local fare of beans & rice with some Bacardi cocktails our first day. I have come to find a new appreciation for Bacardi....

....hence we couldn't leave the island without a tour of the largest rum distillery in the world...Bacardi. To get there we had to take a ferry, a taxi and short tour but at last...the sampling area seen above, built to symbolize their mascot-the bat.

A view of El Morro, a fort built by the Spaniards in the 1500s to protect San Juan from attacks. This was taken from the deck of our 'boat ride' which started out to be a 'fishing trip'. No fish on fishing trip=expensive boat ride. It was pretty though and our captain loved to talk so we learned quite a bit about the island.

Eric checking things out....more photos to come.

2 comments:

VERN said...

Love the pics. So glad you're back. Very jealous. Guess I have to get over my fear of flying and venture out past Vegas.

MelissaB said...

Looks like you guys had a great time - I can't wait to hear all about it. :)